Formed in 1982, the EYTCC is a club for enthusiasts of vintage and classic motor vehicles, forming part of our heritage. The club has many events throughout the year, and a large membership – with a diverse selection of vehicles – generally over 20 years old, with exception at some larger events, where me may also display some members younger ‘future classics’. Full Membership for the year, is just £25, and includes a monthly club magazine – application forms here, or why not join online here.
During 1966 the West Riding of Yorkshire branch of the Yorkshire Thoroughbred Car Club was formed in Wakefield, England. The Hull branch of the Yorkshire Thoroughbred Car Club was formed during the winter of 1982/83, by the late Ray Waterhouse, Roger Stansfield, and Dave Turner. Dave Turner is the only one of the original three founder members still playing an active role. The two branches of the Y.T.C.C were originally funded as one club but, in the mid 1980’s, problems arose with funding and the two branches split. Through financial necessity the Hull branch became self funding.
On Sunday 14th November 1999 at the Annual General Meeting of the Hull branch of the Yorkshire Thoroughbred Car Club, the club changed its name to the East Yorkshire Thoroughbred Car Club.
Since 1949 the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain had organised the Hull to Scarborough Road Run.
In 1972, due to dwindling participation from pre 1918 vehicles, the VCCGB ceased involvement in this run.
In 1973 the Hull branch of the Y.T.C.C took over the organisation of this traditional run, which, during the 1970’s and 80’s, had become a spectacular event, attracting large crowds of spectators.
The Austin dealership, Cornelius Parish Ltd., in Hull, took up the challenge of staging this event and in so doing became the financial sponsor of the Hull Branch of the Y.T.C.C, permitting the run to start from their premises on Anlaby Road, Hull.
The Cornelius Parish Ltd. dealership was taken over by the T.C.Harrison Group. They and their eventual successor, Welpton Ltd., continued the sponsorship of this event until 1993. This was the last year of the Hull to Scarborough run which was discontinued due to the lack of co-
For the next three years a run was organised from Hull to Duncombe Park. This became known as the Wolds Run. During 1998 the Wolds Run changed again and from then to 2004 was run from Hull to Thornton le Dale.
Welpton Ltd. ceased trading in 2005 and due to parking difficulties at the Thornton le Dale venue the traditional run did not take place.
In 2008 the Wolds Run was reinstated. Now starting from the Humber Bridge Car Park and following a similar route to Thornton le Dale.
The North Eastern section of the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain was active in this area and actively organised and promoted the Hull to Scarborough Run from 1947 to 1973. This event being confined to pre 1930 vehicles.
In 1968, the first active preservation group in the East Yorkshire area was a handful of bus enthusiasts, who formed Humberbus in 1969, and which became the Humberside Transport Group in 1973. The first East Coast Run took place in 1969, and was limited to buses only. Cars only became part of this event after the formation of the Hull Branch of the YTCC.
The traditional East Coast Run, which had for 36 years been run by the Humberside Transport Group, was in danger of disappearing from the Historic Vehicle events scene due to the group having too few members to stage it. The EYTCC was approached, in 2005, by the remaining organisers, with a view to the EYTCC taking over the running of the event. Not wishing such a long standing tradition to die the Club agreed to take on the challenge. 2012 saw the 44th run taking place.
The club has flourished under the recent and present committees, who organise numerous events throughout the season which are supported by over 700 fully paid up memberships, many of which are ‘joint’ – taking the club to over 1000 active members.